With its focus on ‘Building BRICS – Innovation for Collaboration’ the first BRICS Trade Fair and Exhibition recently held at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi has witnessed excellence of 20 key sectors including aerospace, agro-processing, auto and auto components, chemicals, green energy and renewables, healthcare and pharmaceuticals, railways, textiles and apparel, infrastructure, IT, engineering goods, tourism, gems and jewellery and skill development exhibited by 600 exhibitors from Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa. To be continued till October 14, the Trade Fair is aimed to give an impetus to intra-BRICS economic engagement and to foster connects amongst members of BRICS business community. According to FICCI (co-organiser along with Ministry of Commerce and Ministry of External Affairs) sources, more than 10,000 visitors visited the trade fair.
In addition to the BRICS Trade Fair, BRICS Business Forum was also held on October 13. This is a full day conference witnessed participation from over 1000 business delegates from all BRICS countries. The Trade and Industry Ministers of all BRICS nations were invited to address the participants and share their vision for economic engagement at the BRICS Business Forum. The Vice President of New Development Bank and the senior team attended this forum and shared how the private sector can support its own efforts to promote sustainable development projects across BRICS countries.
Besides leaders from BRICS countries, the political and business leadership from BIMSTEC (The Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation) countries had also been specially invited by the Indian Government and a significant participation is expected from these countries too.
Programme Highlights: BRICS Business Forum held in October 13
- 9:30 AM; Inaugural Session:
- Onkar Kanwar, Chairman, BRICS Business Council, India Chapter
- José Rubens de La Rosa, Chairman, BRICS Business Council, Brazil Chapter
- Sergey Katyrin, Chairman, BRICS Business Council, Russia Chapter
- Capt. Xu Lirong, Chairman, BRICS Business Council, China Chapter
- Brian Molefe, Chairman, BRICS Business Council, South Africa Chapter
- Harshavardhan Neotia, President, FICCI
- Naushad Forbes, President, CII
- Sunil Kanoria, President, ASSOCHAM
- 11:00 AM – Panel Discussion: Cooperation in Energy Sector
- 12:15 PM – Panel Discussion: Cooperation in Infrastructure Development
- Raghav Chandra, Chairman, NHAI
- João Miguel Drummond, Director of Institutional Relations, Queiroz Galvão
- Alexander Misharin, First Vice President of the JSC Russian Railways & CEO of the JSC High-Speed Rail Lines
- Dongwei Shi, Vice President, Alibaba Group
- George Sebulela, President and Chief Executive, Sebvest Holdings
- 2:30 PM- Special Session with Vice President & COO, New Development Bank, BRICS
- Mr. Xian Zhu, Vice President & Chief Operations Officer, New Development Bank to address
- 4:00 PM- Ministerial Session
- Hamid Ansari, Vice President of India, Govt. of India will inaugurate and address the Forum
- Nirmala Sitharaman, Minister of Commerce & Industry, India; Dr. Rob Davies, Minister of Trade and Industry, South Africa; Marcos Pereira, Minister of Industry, Foreign Trade and Services, Brazil; Wang Shouwen, Vice Minister of Ministry of Commerce, China; Alexey Likhachev, First Deputy Minister of Economic Development, Russia; Ms Rita Teaotia, Commerce Secretary, India are also scheduled to address.
- 5:15 PM- Panel Discussion: Cooperation in Agri-Business Sector
- Sandile Zungu, Executive Chairman, ZICO Investment Holdings
- Leticia Phillips, Representative, North America, Brazil Sugarcane Industry Association (UNICA)
- Anna Nesterova, Founder and Chairman, Global Rus Trade